401 Retirement Plans, IRAs, and other tax deferred savings

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Retirement Income and other Retirement topics.

How can 401 retirement plans and IRAs help me save for retirement?

401 Retirement Plans, IRAs, and other tax deferred savings

Retirement income or pensions for the self-employed requires a slightly different approach. A Solo 401(k) is a 401 retirement plan for the self-employed. With a Solo 401(k) you can contribute up to 100% of the first $14,000 of your 2005 compensation or self-employment income ($18,000 if you'll be 50 or older at year-end). (This figure rises in 2006 and beyond.) On top of that, you can contribute and deduct an additional amount of up to 25% of your compensation income, or 20% of your self-employment income. You must establish your plan by Dec. 31, 2005, if you want to claim a 2005 tax deduction.



Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Retirement Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Tammi Reynolds